Saturday, April 21, 2007

I Found Bob Seger at the Gas Station


I’ll admit to being a lady of mature years. Just how mature is my secret, but I will tell you I witnessed Elvis’ first television appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. Music has always been important to me and my love of Rock and Roll saw me through my teenage years. I now realize I missed a lot of fantastic music beginning in the mid sixties when I defected to Country Music. I’ve tried to make up for that with a willingness to listen and learn. That’s how I found Bob Seger at the gas station.

Sitting in the gas station with the car windows down and the sun roof open while my husband pumped gas, I heard a haunting melody from the Cadillac Escalade that pulled in next to me. The man driving the pearl white SUV got out to buy a soda but left the music playing at a level where everyone at the station could enjoy it. Had it been Rap or even the mind-numbing sameness of “New Country”, I would have been annoyed at having to listen to someone else’s music. Instead, I was intrigued at the hauntingly beautiful sound of the male singer’s voice filling the late evening coolness. I didn’t recognize the voice or the song so when the driver returned to his vehicle, I got out of mine and stopped him.

The forty-something driver was a little spooked by this lady of mature years approaching him and, until he made sense of my question about his music, he looked about ready to bolt.

“Excuse me, Sir.” I said as non-threateningly as I knew how. “Who is singing in the music you’re playing?”

He relaxed a little and looked down at me. He was quite tall and husky and I was short in comparison. “It’s Bob Seger.”

Now, I vaguely recognized the name and knew Bob Seger must have lots of hit albums out there. The man began to ease toward his vehicle and I could feel my husband staring at my back and wondering what the heck I was doing talking to this strange man.

I ventured further, “What’s the name of the song?”

He looked like this was way more conversation than he wanted to have with this strange woman but he quickly blurted out, “Turn the Page.”

I smiled and thanked him and turned to return to my car. He was away like a shot. As I drove away, my husband asked what that was all about. When I told him, he just gave me the look that means ‘I’ll never understand this woman’.

The next day, I searched my iPod music for Bob Seger songs. Many of the song files were given to me by my brother who is younger by six years and of a whole different Rock and Roll generation. I found a few Bob Seger songs but not Turn The Page. In my next shopping trip, I found the first volume of Bob Seger Greatest Hits containing that song and so many others I now enjoy. I followed up with Bob Seger Greatest Hits Vol. 2.

Since I found Bob Seger at the gas station, I found Phil Collins on Carol’s radio at work. Who knows who I’ll find next… and where.

No comments: